Netflix

Dec 9 2019


I remember when netflix used to send out the movies you wanted in dvd's. You would anxiously await their arrival when the mail person finally puts it in your mailbox. You would rush out to get the dvd and are excited when you saw that little red and square envelope. For as long as I can remember netflix has been apart of my life. My sister and I would sit on the hardwood floor eating our dinner as our parents would put in the Muppets dvd. I would smile at kermit and sing along to the opening song and as confused as I was I would smile when my parents laughed at fozzie's "adult jokes". Needless to say Netflix has been a positive experience and brings with it a lot of nostalgia. I know my history with Netflix but what is Netflix's history? 

According to Netflix's website the company started in 1997 and was founded by Reed Hasting and software executive Mark Randolph where they offered online rentals. Netflix continued to improve year after year adding dvd rentals, a subscription service, then a personalized movie recommendation system. By 2005 Netflix had 4.2 million subscribers. netflix then partners with companies such as Xbox, PS3, Apple and nintendo to be able to steam its services it also extends it reach to other countries such as Canada and many countries in Latin America. As Netflix starts to expand to Europe it wins its first Primetime Emmy Engineering Award; Netflix continues to expand across europe and garners 31 Primetime Emmy nominations. By 2017 Netflix wins its first Oscar with the documentary The White Helmets. The same year netflix hits 100 million subscribers. In 2018 Netflix wins another Oscar for the documentary Icarus as it starts to display shows from all around the world . It becomes the most nominated service for Emmys, even tieing with Hbo for most wins, having 23 awards. As you can see Netflix has a successful history and continues to be present as it has had amazing success with one of its newer shows Sherlock holmes as it is incredibly successful in the UK and has been ranked Netflix's best series this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music

Iran Trump Conflict

Missrepresentaion